The AEU runs a busy program of events across Victoria for graduate and student teachers, including three conferences, regular PD in the Pub sessions, workshops on applying for jobs, our Meet the Principals events and dedicated PD for preschool teachers.
Union events include our regular NEN meetings and the Young Unionist Activist Program. Scroll down for dates and details of each program. For more information or to book online, click on the chosen event. Any other queries, email Andrew Cassidy.
Young Member Activist Program
This week-long program runs each term. The program will be held at the AEU Abbotsford office. More details here.
- Term 2 (apply by June 3) Monday-Friday June 17-21
- Term 3 (apply by August 26) Monday-Friday September 9-13
- Term 4 (apply by November 18) Monday-Friday December 2-6
Student teacher conference
The AEU holds two conferences for final year student teachers in the April and September school holidays each year. Participants will learn about critical issues, hear from education experts and participate in targeted and timely workshops. It's also an excellent opportunity to network with peers from other universities. Both conferences will run from 8.30am to 4.00pm at the AEU Abbotsford office.
- Friday September 27
Graduate teacher conferences
We run two Graduate Teacher Conferences each year — one for primary and one for secondary members. They are fantastic professional development opportunities that allow participants to learn about crucial issues, hear from educational experts and participate in targeted and timely workshops. Both conferences will run from 8.30am to 4.00pm at the AEU Abbotsford office. Click on a conference to find out more and book online.
- Primary graduate conference (was held Friday May 10)
- Secondary graduate conference - Friday May 24 (Flyer, PDF 604KB)
Applying for jobs
These twilight workshops for students and graduate teachers cover selection criteria and Recruitment Online. Sessions are held across the state and run from 4.30pm–6.30pm.
- Tuesday June 11 - AEU Abbotsford
- Tuesday July 23 - AEU Abbotsford
- Tuesday August 6 - AEU Abbotsford
- Tuesday August 13 - Wodonga
- Thursday August 15 - Ballarat
- Monday August 19 - Geelong
- Tuesday August 20 - Traralgon
- Tuesday September 3 - AEU Abbotsford
Meet the Principals
This series of events is held across the state to allow final-year student members to meet serving primary and secondary school principals. A panel of principals talks about what they look for in a graduate teacher. The meeting breaks into small groups to allow you to talk directly to principals and get a keen insight into the recruitment process. These are members' only meetings for student teachers, but students can join on the night — and remember student membership is free.
- Thursday August 22 (Primary) - AEU Abbotsford
- Tuesday August 27 (Secondary) - AEU Abbotsford
- Tuesday September 3 - Geelong
- Thursday September 5 - Ballarat
- Tuesday September 10 - Traralgon
- Thursday September 12 - Bendigo
- Thursday September 12 - Warrnambool
New Educators Network meetings
NEN meetings are held throughout the year at the AEU office. For details of future meetings, email Andrew Cassidy or call him on (03) 9417 2822. All graduate and student members welcome — no need to register.
PD in the Pub
Free to AEU members, these sessions offer valuable, practical PD from a top class practitioner in a convivial surrounding — followed by a beer on us. Click on here to link to view all details.
AEU Active training for union activists
Our two-day AEU Active courses are held throughout the year.
- Click here for course information and dates.