Building an empowered sub-branch requires collective commitment and discipline, as well as a sound understanding of the role of the sub-branch, and the AEU rules.
How to run a good meeting
Good meetings are planned, well-chaired and make decisions that are implemented. Here are some tips for good practice:
- Circulate agendas in advance.
- Designate a chairperson (chairing should be purposeful, efficient and fair – but with a mind to guiding the group towards making decisions).
- Take minutes.
- Ensure AEU standing orders and sub-branch rules are available and meeting protocol is observed.
- Enforce limited speaking times.
- Make decisions.
- Designate who is responsible for implementing each decision.
- Identify a date by which decisions must be implemented.
- Declare meeting open.
- Confirmation of previous minutes.
- Outstanding business from previous minutes.
- Financial report.
- List of any new agenda items.
- General business.