Casual Relief Teachers and the AEU
Casual Relief Teachers (CRTs) are a vital part of the education system. Did you know nearly one in five teachers are employed as a casual? Or that approximately 10% of students’ learning is delivered by CRTs?
That’s why AEU CRT Members have campaigned hard for improvements to their pay and conditions, the major achievements include:
- Significant pay increases over and above the Award for CRTs employed directly by schools.
- A salary structure linked to the classroom teacher salaries in the current Victorian Government Schools Agreement, including six-monthly pay increases.
- A $1m boost in government investment and exclusive professional development for CRTs.
- Payments for late-notice cancellations of bookings.
- Improved access to services and information provided to other school teachers, including the Employee Assistance Program (phone 1300 361 008).
Additional benefits to AEU CRT membership include:
- Targeted training and advice, including webinars on your rights and entitlements.
- Network meetings where CRTs can share their interests, questions, and ideas to ensure the profession continues to thrive.
- Reciprocal membership with the Independent Education Union, so you are covered no matter which sector you are working in on any given day.
- Recovering money from agencies for underpaid CRTs.
- Access to legal support and advice on a case-by-case basis.
These successes have only been possible because CRTs have the full strength of 50,000 AEU members behind them. When we stand together, we win.
Your representative voice
The AEU is run by members, for members. CRTs play a vital role in helping set the AEU’s strategic priorities and taking part in decision-making.
If you’re a CRT looking to learn more about the AEU, come along to one of our CRT network meetings or regional meetings, and join our online communities.