Read about your pay & conditions
attend your next local aeu meeting
Join our CRT member Facebook group
See COVID FAQs for schools
Casual Relief Teachers and the AEU
Casual Relief Teachers (CRTs) are a vital part of the education system. Did you know nearly one in five teachers are employed as a casual? Or that approximately 10% of students’ learning is delivered by CRTs?
That’s why AEU CRT Members have campaigned hard for improvements to their pay and conditions, the major achievements include:
- Significant pay increases for CRTs, up to $133.37 by 2025 when compared to the level one award rate.
- A salary structure linked to the classroom teacher salary subdivision 1-5 in the current Victorian Government Schools Agreement, including yearly pay increases.
- Professional development exclusively for CRTs, and a funding increase for CRT PD up to $1 million.
- Commitment from DET to work with the AEU to develop a CRT Handbook.
- Late notice cancellation payments for CRT bookings.
- Improved access to school provisions and information, including the Employee Assistance Program (phone 1300 361 008).
These successes have only been possible because you work together and stand together, you win together.
Additional benefits to AEU CRT membership include:
- Network meetings where CRTs can share their interests, questions, and ideas to ensure the profession continues to thrive.
- Reciprocal membership with the Independent Education Union, so you are covered no matter which sector you are working in on any given day.
- Recovering money from agencies for underpaid CRTs.
- Access to legal advice and support on a case-by-case basis.
These successes have only been won because we have the full weight of 50,000 AEU members behind AEU CRT members. When we work and stand together, we win.
Your representative voice
The AEU is run by members, for members. CRTs play a vital role in helping set the AEU’s strategic priorities and supporting the AEU’s decision-making.
If you’re a CRT looking to learn more about the AEU, come along to one of our CRT network meetings or regional meetings, and join us in our online communities. The best place to start is by joining our CRT Facebook group.